Did you know that according to the CDC, approximately one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger? For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for drowning injuries. The rate of near drowning is much higher, as not all near drownings are reported.
Did you also know that Los Angeles County alone has over 43,000 private pools plus their natural water sources include 75 miles of coastline, 4 major rivers, and 74 lakes/reservoirs? With its miles of shores, a multitude of natural freshwater bodies, and an abundance of swimming pools, Californians are at increased risk for drowning and near-drowning incidents. In fact, drowning is the leading cause of accidental death for children between the ages of 1 and 4.
Fortunately, drowning is preventable! And, while drowning prevention is the most important reason to teach your child to swim, it isn’t the only one.
5 Reasons your child needs swim lessons.
- Drowning prevention. Swim lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by more than 80%.
- Swimming is good for your whole body and brain. Swimming increases heart and lung strength, stamina, and endurance with low impact on the body, making it ideal for children with special needs, and can strengthen gross and fine motor skills for easier learning.
- Swimming reduces anxiety and stress, burn off energy, and help increase focus. The meditative effect of swimming is well known, and the chemicals produced during the exercise are proven to improve focus and concentration.
- Make new friends. Joining a swim team provides new opportunities for social connections, increased confidence and support, positive peer interactions, and all the accompanying positive benefits of team dynamics.
- New opportunities.Swimming is the gateway to a new world and foundational for a wealth of other beneficial activities, including kayaking, water polo, surfing, sailing, canoeing, water skiing, and so much more.
Fortunately, we offer premium swim lessons designed to make your child safe, successful, and one with the water! Register now to get started.
Molly is a member of our creative team, mom of four water-loving babies, and a fierce advocate for CPR training and really early swim instruction.