Life hacks for swimmers.
We scoured the internet looking for the best life hacks for swimmers, and it all boils down to this.
- Dry your stuff out completely between swims – suit, towel, cap, all of it.
- Don’t put your suit in a washing machine.
That’s it. That’s all I could find. Because it turns out, you can’t life-hack swimming. You can’t shortcut your way to getting stronger, faster, and mentally tougher.
So we are going to flip the script. Instead, let’s hack your life with what you learn from swimming!
Hack your life with swimming.
- Discipline -Athletes wake-up and do the work every day. Success doesn’t happen without the grind and the effort.
“No matter what your ability is, effort is what ignites that ability and turns it into accomplishment.” Carol S. Dweck, Mindset: The New Psychology Of Success
- Goal Setting: Athletes set goals, then create a strategic plan to accomplish them. (Often involving deliberate, disciplined practice. Then they reassess them as necessary. Successful athletes know that targeted training works. Athletes have seasons within seasons, micro and macro training periods, and swimmers have three seasons per year: Macrocycles, Mesocycles, and Micro cycles for training. Athletes break down goals and set smaller, incremental goals to achieve the bigger goals. Ultimately, have a strategy, but DON’T be afraid to fail – utilize a growth mindset to learn and grow continuously.
“Want to know the secret to victory? Fail to make the varsity team.” Michael Jordan
- Team Work! – A lot of companies hire former college athletes based on the above and this factor. Teamwork promotes socialization, cooperation, and accountability while elevating individual performance and creating outcomes impossible to achieve alone. It’s easy to recognize that heightened teamwork skills translate to success on the field. It’s important to realize that these same skills cross over into all areas of life.
- And finally, You are capable of far more than you realize in the moment. When you are exhausted, spent, and ready to quit, you discover what you are mentally and physically able to conquer.
The qualities that make swimmers successful in the water make them successful out of it. We would all do well to take this roadmap to athletic excellence and apply it across the board in our own lives.
Photo Credit unsplash-logochuttersnap