Are you ready for the holidays?
I always tell myself that I will start exercising more BEFORE January 1. That way it isn’t a resolution that I feel guilty about letting slide somewhere around January 6. Mainly, it’s because I have the recipe for the best chocolate fudge this side of heaven, and I make it for all my friends. And when you make fudge, you test eat fudge. And when you test eat that many batches of fudge, you gain AT LEAST five pounds. It happens every December.
Fortunately for me, my gym has a pool and excellent child care. And this year I really am starting now. Here are just a few reasons why!
Swimming combats obesity
Did you know the benefits of swimming include healthy weight loss and combating obesity?
- Swimming is low impact and combines upper and lower body workouts at the same time using the resistance of the water.
- Swimming is a great form of exercise for people with injuries, range of motion difficulties, and limitations due to weight.
- The lower water temperatures keep athletes cooler, allowing to them to workout longer.
- In addition, swimming regularly can increase core strength and create better balance.
- And finally, swimming between 30 minutes to 1 hour 3-4 times weekly can lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes, plus help lower bad cholesterol and blood pressure.
The number of calories burned while swimming is dependent on several factors, including the length and intensity of the workout. Obviously, the longer and harder the workout, the more calories burned. Weight is a factor too, because of the effort required to move our bodies through the water. A swimmer weighing 200 pounds will burn more calories than someone weighing 150 pounds, using the same workout.
Bottom line, the water is good for you, mind, body, and soul! Many of us ARE struggling with the temptation of holiday treats and want to stay disciplined through the holidays. And some of us are looking to take the first monumental step on a lifelong journey of health and wellness.
One with the Water can help
Whatever your motivation, One with the Water will be with you every step of the way. Whether you are looking to learn to swim, conquer childhood fears, develop open-water swim techniques and strategies, or get to a healthy weight, our swimming lessons for adults provide a personal and customized swimming program. We will help you to become a strong swimmer regardless of your athletic skills, flexibility or body-type. Our swimming experts have over 35 years of experience as competitive swimmers and teachers. We will succeed, with compassion, in teaching you to swim.
If you have already experienced all the benefits swimming provides, consider passing it along this holiday season. Partner with us today to teach economically disadvantaged children, special needs children, and Service-Disabled Veterans to become One with the Water! Donate now, and you can help reduce the risk of drowning for children by up to 88%! Be a hero and help us save the life of a child.
- $180 a month provides a child access to the life-changing swim team preparing them for high school and college!
- $275 a month teaches a special needs child the lifesaving skill of swimming.
- $5000 provides education and credentialing for our coaches.
- $10,000 provides six months of pool access.
Donate now and be a hero in the life of a child.